This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8556 / 51°51'20"N
Longitude: -0.8186 / 0°49'6"W
OS Eastings: 481464
OS Northings: 218103
OS Grid: SP814181
Mapcode National: GBR D2B.PVK
Mapcode Global: VHDTY.RMMC
Entry Name: Weedon War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 December 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1431825
Location: Weedon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Weedon
Built-Up Area: Weedon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hardwick
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands alongside Weedon Methodist Church. Built of Clipsham stone, it comprises a Latin cross embellished with carved Gothic features including fleur-de-lis extending from the intersection of the cross arms. The moulded cross foot rises from a tall octagonal shaft that stands on a chamfered octagonal plinth. The plinth stands on two octagonal steps on a broad octagonal base. The base has a shallow cornice for the laying of floral tributes.
The front face of the plinth bears an inscription that reads 1914 – 1918/ + TO THE/ GLORY OF/ GOD & IN/ MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. The top step carries the names of those 12 men who died in the First World War. These inscriptions are all incised and carved in a Celtic style typeface.
In addition, two small brass plaques mounted on wooden backs are attached to the plinth, one of which reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ & IN MEMORY OF THOSE/ WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918, followed by a list of those who died in the First World War. The second plaque reads SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945, followed by a list of those who died.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
The villages of Weedon and Hardwick fall within the same ecclesiastical parish, and so a joint scheme for war memorials was conceived by the organising committee led by Reverend HB Walton. The design, by an Oxford-based architect, was carried out by Messrs Newman and Harper of Aylesbury. Identical crosses were erected at a cost of £390, of which £345 was raised by public subscription in the two villages. As well as these two crosses, the firm of Newman and Harper was responsible for the construction of a number of war memorials in Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire.
The memorial cross in Weedon was unveiled by Miss Heap, a local resident, and dedicated on 5 May 1921, one week after the unveiling of the cross in Hardwick. The same order of service was followed as at the Hardwick ceremony, led by Reverend BE Hawkins, the Wesleyan minister.
Following the end of the Second World War a plaque was added to the plinth commemorating those who fell in that conflict. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2014, funded by War Memorials Trust. This included piecing in matching stone to missing stonework.
Weedon War Memorial, situated at the Wesleyan Chapel on Abbotts Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant cross in the medieval style.
Other nearby listed buildings