This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8637 / 51°51'49"N
Longitude: -0.8302 / 0°49'48"W
OS Eastings: 480646
OS Northings: 218994
OS Grid: SP806189
Mapcode National: GBR D2B.0Y5
Mapcode Global: VHDTY.KFG4
Entry Name: Hardwick War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 December 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1431834
Location: Hardwick, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Hardwick
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hardwick
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1921.
The memorial stands alongside the Church of St Mary (Grade II*-listed). Built of Clipsham stone, it comprises a Latin cross embellished with carved Gothic features including fleur-de-lis extending from the intersection of the cross arms. The moulded cross foot rises from a tall octagonal shaft that stands on a chamfered octagonal plinth. The plinth stands on two octagonal steps on a broad octagonal base. The base has a shallow cornice for the laying of floral tributes.
The front face of the plinth bears an inscription that reads 1914 – 1918/ + TO THE/ GLORY OF/ GOD & IN/ MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO LAID DOWN THEIR/ LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. The top step carries the names of those 12 men who died in the First World War. These inscriptions are all incised and carved in a Celtic style typeface.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
The villages of Hardwick and Weedon fall within the same ecclesiastical parish, and so a joint scheme for war memorials was conceived by the organising committee led by Reverend HB Walton. The design, by an Oxford-based architect, was carried out by Messrs Newman and Harper of Aylesbury. Identical crosses were erected at a cost of £390, of which £345 was raised by public subscription in the two villages. As well as these two crosses, the firm of Newman and Harper was responsible for the construction of a number of war memorials in Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire.
The memorial cross in Hardwick was unveiled by Reverend AW Spooner, Warden of New College, Oxford, and dedicated by the Rector, Reverend HB Walton, on 28 April 1921, one week before the unveiling of the cross in Weedon. The same order of service was used at both ceremonies.
Unlike the cross at Weedon, the Hardwick memorial does not commemorate any Second World War casualties. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2011, funded by War Memorials Trust.
Hardwick War Memorial, situated in the churchyard of the Church of St Mary, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an elegant cross in the medieval style;
* Group value: with the Church of St Mary (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings