This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8475 / 51°50'50"N
Longitude: -0.6641 / 0°39'50"W
OS Eastings: 492121
OS Northings: 217386
OS Grid: SP921173
Mapcode National: GBR F42.0Y8
Mapcode Global: VHFRH.FTSL
Entry Name: Cheddington War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 December 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1431836
Location: Cheddington, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Cheddington
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Cheddington with Mentmore
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands at the northern edge of The Green in Cheddington village. Built of grey granite, it comprises a tall obelisk raised on a square, chamfered, plinth. The plinth stands on a three-stepped base. A plain Latin cross is carved in relief on the front face of the obelisk. The memorial is enclosed by a low hedge and flowerbed to the front and sides.
The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN/ OF/ CHEDDINGTON/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ (18 NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. The Second World War inscription on a small, sloping stone fixed on the middle step of the base reads 1939 – 1945/ (3 NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
Cheddington War Memorial was unveiled by Mr E Archer (father of one of the commemorated men) and dedicated by the Rector, Reverend WHH Elliott, on 24 December 1922, to commemorate 18 local servicemen who died during the First World War. The scheme for a public memorial was promoted by local ex-servicemen, who approached the war memorial committee. The committee, responsible for identical alabaster plaques that had been erected in the parish church and the Wesleyan Chapel, set aside £60 towards the cost. The balance of the full cost of £120 was met through fundraising activities. A further three names were added following the Second World War, to commemorate those who died in that conflict.
Cheddington War Memorial, situated on The Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-proportioned Classical obelisk.
Other nearby listed buildings