This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7727 / 51°46'21"N
Longitude: -0.9964 / 0°59'46"W
OS Eastings: 469346
OS Northings: 208701
OS Grid: SP693087
Mapcode National: GBR B0F.T2T
Mapcode Global: VHDV7.PP4X
Entry Name: Long Crendon War Memorial
Listing Date: 5 February 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1432474
Location: Long Crendon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Long Crendon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Long Crendon
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands in a raised garden to the east of the junction of Chearsley Road and Bicester Road. The garden is fronted by a low retaining wall. Access is gained by way of three steps in the centre of the wall, leading up to a paved area bordered on three sides by a similar low stone wall. A further three steps in the rear wall rise up to a flowerbed.
Approximately 3m tall, the stone monument at the centre of the paved area comprises an obelisk, square on plan. The obelisk rises from the pediment of a square plinth. The plinth stands on a three-stepped base. The principal dedication on the front (west) face of the plinth reads IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO LOST THEIR LIVES DURING/ THE GREAT WAR/ "THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE.”/ 1914 (3 NAMES)/ 1915 (9 NAMES). The remaining names from the First World War, grouped by year, are recorded on the other sides of the plinth. Inscriptions for the Second World War are recorded on the front faces of the steps. All the inscriptions are executed in metal letters fixed to the stone.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
Long Crendon War Memorial was unveiled on 19 November 1920 by Colonel F T Higgins Bernard, of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. The memorial commemorates 52 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, further names were added to commemorate those eight who died in that conflict.
Long Crendon War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Chearsley Road and Bicester Road, Long Crendon, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet elegant Classical obelisk;
* Group value: with Sycamore Farmhouse and Number 13, and 7, Bicester Road (both Grade II-listed).
Other nearby listed buildings