This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7298 / 51°43'47"N
Longitude: -0.6978 / 0°41'52"W
OS Eastings: 490030
OS Northings: 204260
OS Grid: SP900042
Mapcode National: GBR D41.JDQ
Mapcode Global: VHDVL.VSG8
Entry Name: The Lee War Memorial
Listing Date: 1 March 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1433152
Location: The Lee, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP16
Civil Parish: The Lee
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: The Lee
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is situated at the north-eastern corner of the village green, facing Lee Clump Road. It is in the form of the Iona cross, with a slim granite tapering shaft, rectangular in section, surmounted by a wheel-head cross. A rope pattern adorns the arrises of every part of the shaft and cross head. The shaft rises from a shallow, tapering pedestal that stands on a single step of stone blocks, surrounded by a narrow pavement.
Carved interlace decoration adorns the face of the wheel-head cross. The principal dedicatory inscription begins immediately below the wheel-head on the front face, reading TO THE/ GLORY/ OF GOD/ AND IN/ MEMORY OF/ THESE MEN/ OF THE LEE/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING &/ COUNTRY/ HEARTH/ & HOME/ FREEDOM/ & HONOUR/ IN BRITAIN'S/ WAR AGAINST/ GERMAN/ CRUELTY &/ AGGRESSION/ (30 NAMES)/ 1914-1919.
The rear face of the shaft bears a sword carved in relief, below which is carved THANKS BE/ TO GOD/ WHICH/ GIVETH/ US THE/ VICTORY/ THROUGH/ OUR LORD/ JESUS/ CHRIST.
The Second World War dedication is carved in low relief on the front face of the pedestal, reading 1939 – 1945 (12 NAMES). A metal plaque on the front face of the step reads NINE MEN FROM THIS VILLAGE WERE SLAIN AT FROMELLES, NORTHERN/ FRANCE ON 19 JULY 1916. THEIR NAMES ARE RECORDED ON THIS WAR/ MEMORIAL AND SOIL FROM THEIR GRAVES IN FRANCE WAS BROUGHT BACK IN/ 2001 AND BURIED BENEATH THIS PLAQUE IN HONOUR AND REMEMBRANCE OF/ THEIR GALLANTRY AND SACRIFICE.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a chain carried on low timber posts forms a boundary at the rear of the monument, with six short posts on the periphery of the green in front of the memorial.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
The memorial was dedicated and unveiled on 1 January 1921 by the Lord Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire, Robert Wynn-Carington, Marquis of Lincolnshire. The site had been presented by Lady Liberty and the memorial organised by a committee chaired by Captain Ivor Stewart-Liberty. The cross commemorates 30 local servicemen who died in the First World War, including six pairs of brothers.
Following the Second World War the names of 12 men who died during that conflict were added. A metal plaque was subsequently fixed to the memorial commemorating nine men, named on the cross, who died at Fromelles on 19 July 1916. Soil from their graves was brought back and is buried beneath the plaque.
The Lee War Memorial, which stands on The Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an intricately carved wheel-head cross in the Celtic style;
* Group value: with a number of Grade II-listed buildings around The Green.
Other nearby listed buildings