History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Evington War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Evington, City of Leicester

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6214 / 52°37'16"N

Longitude: -1.0734 / 1°4'24"W

OS Eastings: 462823

OS Northings: 303025

OS Grid: SK628030

Mapcode National: GBR FWQ.W6

Mapcode Global: WHFKP.HC2R

Entry Name: Evington War Memorial

Listing Date: 22 March 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1433270

Location: Leicester, LE5

County: City of Leicester

Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish

Unitary Authority Ward: Evington

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Evington St Denys

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Oadby

Summary

First World War memorial by Stockdale Harrison and Sons Ltd, built by William Moss and Sons and engraved by The Plasmatic Co. unveiled and dedicated on 25 July 1920. Second World War additions after 1945.

Description

First World War memorial by Stockdale Harrison and Sons Ltd, built by William Moss and Sons and engraved by The Plasmatic Co. unveiled and dedicated on 25 July 1920. Second World War additions after 1945.

The memorial is situated on a slightly elevated paved terrace within an open circular clearing at the junction between Main Street and Church Road, approached from the front by a series of steps. It comprises a square-plan, five-stepped base, surmounted by a square pedestal, a column with an orb and a small metal cross on it. Approximately a third of the way up the column is a blank oval crest framed by laurel leaves depicted in relief. Three slate tablets set into the pedestal are inscribed.

The inscription on the front face of the plinth reads THE LAND UPON WHICH/THIS MEMORIAL STANDS/KNOWN BY THE/ NAME OF/KINGS ORCHARD/ WAS GIVEN TO EVINGTON/ BY/JOHN EDWARD/FAIRE ESQ.J.P./OF EVINGTON HALL/ AS A THANKSGIVING TO/GOD FOR VICTORY AND/ PEACE. AUGUST 23rd 1919. On the rear face the inscription reads IN THANKFULNESS TO ALMIGHTY GOD/ THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY/ THE PARISHIONERS OF EVINGTON/ AND IN UNDYING MEMORY OF (NAMES)/ MEN OF EVINGTON WHO GAVE/THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/1914-1918.

The other two faces are inscribed with the dates 1939-1945 followed by lists of names of those men from Evington who died during the Second World War.

The memorial is situated approximately 85m to the north-east of Evington Baptist Chapel which is listed at Grade II.

History

Evington War Memorial at the junction of Main Street and Church Street was constructed in 1920 to commemorate the men of Evington who gave their lives during the First World War. Local businessman J E Faire, Esq, of Evington Hall donated land, for the memorial, within Kings Orchard as a thanksgiving to God for victory and peace. The memorial was designed by Stockdale Harrison and Sons Ltd, built by William Moss and Sons and engraved by The Plasmatic Co at a total cost of £350. The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on 25 July 1920 in the presence of local clergy and dignitaries. A second dedicatory inscription to commemorate the local men who died during the Second World War was added after 1945.

The memorial received a Leicester City Council Central Grant for cleaning and restoration work, which was completed in 2014. This included the relaying of the paving around the memorial and a new disabled access path. Since then a special memorial bench has also been installed to the rear.

Reasons for Listing

Evington War Memorial, dedicated in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-executed memorial which takes the form of a column, orb and metal cross;
* Group value: with the Grade II listed Evington Baptist Chapel.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.