This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8455 / 51°50'43"N
Longitude: -0.9261 / 0°55'33"W
OS Eastings: 474078
OS Northings: 216867
OS Grid: SP740168
Mapcode National: GBR C12.6P5
Mapcode Global: VHDTW.WWS3
Entry Name: Waddesdon War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 March 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1433353
Location: Waddesdon, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Waddesdon
Built-Up Area: Waddesdon
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Waddesdon with Over Winchendon and Fleet Marston
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial is situated on a triangular green on The Square at the junction of High Street and Silk Street, in front of 91 and 93 High Street (Grade II). It comprises a rough-hewn granite Celtic cross c3m tall. The front (north) face of the wheel-head is decorated with an interlace design carved in relief. The south face is plain.
The cross shaft stands on a tapered, square, plinth with smooth, recessed panels bearing the inscriptions. All lettering is black-painted inset lead. The plinth stands on a shallow, two-stepped, square base. The memorial is surrounded by a chain carried on nine low stone pillars and the enclosure is gravelled. Three steps lead down to the memorial from the footway.
The north face of the plinth bears the principal dedication TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN/ PROUD AND GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THE MEN OF WADDESDON/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919./ AND IN 1939-1945./ "FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH."/ "THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE."
The names of the sixty-two fallen from the First World War are on the east and west faces, thirty-one on each. The names of the fourteen fallen from the Second World War are on the south face.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
Waddesdon War Memorial was unveiled in March 1921 by Major-General Sir Robert Fanshawe KCB DSO, late of the Oxfordshire Light Infantry, who commanded the 48th (South Midland) Division during the First World War. It commemorated 62 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a further inscription was added to commemorate the 14 who fell in that conflict.
Waddesdon War Memorial, which stands at the junction of High Street and Silk Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a dignified wheel-head cross in the Celtic style;
* Group value: with 91 and 93 High Street (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings