This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3539 / 51°21'13"N
Longitude: -2.204 / 2°12'14"W
OS Eastings: 385891
OS Northings: 161662
OS Grid: ST858616
Mapcode National: GBR 1SF.1LZ
Mapcode Global: VH96W.R76G
Entry Name: Holt War Memorial, Wiltshire
Listing Date: 13 June 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1435709
Location: Holt, Wiltshire, BA14
Civil Parish: Holt
Built-Up Area: Holt
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Holt St Katharine
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The granite memorial stands within a railed enclosure on Ham Green, to the side of the B3107 between Melksham and Bradford on Avon. Standing c3m tall, it comprises a broad obelisk, square on plan, rising from a tall corniced plinth. The plinth’s two-stage base stands on two steps.
Bronze plaques fixed to the front face of the plinth record the details of the commemorated servicemen. The principal dedicatory inscription reads OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ 1914-1918/ (NAMES). Metal figures fixed to the upper stage of the base read 1939 – 1945 with the Second World War names listed on a bronze plaque below.
The monument enclosure is surfaced with stone chippings. A low stone kerb caries the hooped railings around the enclosure, with a gate to the north-west side.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 December 2016.
In April 1919 the Parish Council resolved to raise funds for a war memorial at Holt. Later that year the decision was reached that the memorial would be located on Ham Green. It was unveiled on 4 July 1920 by Lord Methuin, commemorating 32 local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War the details of eight men who died in that conflict were added. The railings enclosing the memorial, made by local blacksmith Mr Harry Harding and paid for by public subscription, were added in 1922.
In 2013 the damaged concrete base of the memorial was replaced with Cornish granite, to match the rest of the structure. This was part of the Memorial Restoration Project supported financially by the local authority and War Memorials Trust.
Holt War Memorial, which stands on Ham Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an imposing obelisk in the Classical style;
* Group value: with the Bollards With Chains Enclosing Ham Green On All Sides (Grade II) and other Grade II-listed buildings around Ham Green.
Other nearby listed buildings