This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2536 / 53°15'12"N
Longitude: -1.9134 / 1°54'48"W
OS Eastings: 405877
OS Northings: 372955
OS Grid: SK058729
Mapcode National: GBR HZ2T.KD
Mapcode Global: WHBBS.LH32
Entry Name: St Mary's Church War Memorial, Buxton
Listing Date: 14 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1436521
Location: High Peak, Derbyshire, SK17
District: High Peak
Electoral Ward/Division: Buxton Central
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Buxton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Buxton with Burbage and King Sterndale
Church of England Diocese: Derby
First World War memorial, unveiled in the 1920s.
St Mary's Church War Memorial is located within the churchyard of St Mary the Virgin Church facing Dale Road. It consists of a limestone canopied crucifix on a tapered chamfered square pillar rising from a square chamfered stone plinth. The base and plinth of the memorial are built up from a reinforced concrete base with a coursed ashlar and rubble stone limestone.
The inscriptions on the plinth of the memorial commemorate the men of Buxton who gave their lives during the First World War. The inscription on the front face reads 1914 – 1918/ OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ R.I.P.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Buxton in the 1920’s as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community, who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was relocated from the eastern end of the new St Mary’s Church to the south of the modern rectory, circa 1942. In September 2012, War Memorials Trust gave a grant of £852.00 towards a structural survey to address the condition of the memorial and assess the level of repair works required.
St Mary's Church War Memorial, Buxton, erected in the 1920s, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an elegant canopied crucifix memorial;
* Group value: with the broadly contemporary 1914-5 Grade II listed church of St Mary the Virgin by P Currey and CC Thompson.
Other nearby listed buildings