This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9262 / 51°55'34"N
Longitude: -0.7622 / 0°45'43"W
OS Eastings: 485215
OS Northings: 226021
OS Grid: SP852260
Mapcode National: GBR D1N.64D
Mapcode Global: VHDTL.QVY7
Entry Name: Stewkley War Memorial
Listing Date: 5 August 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1436567
Location: Stewkley, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, LU7
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Stewkley
Built-Up Area: Stewkley
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stewkley
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, unveiled on 9 April 1922, with further names added after the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Cornish granite.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a tapering obelisk with a pyramidal top, approximately 3.6m high. It stands on a square plinth with sloping shoulders which is set upon a two-stepped base.
Inscriptions and names are carved on the faces of the plinth and all of the lettering is in inset, black-painted lead. The dedication appears on the north face of the plinth: TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ THIS OBELISK IS/ ERECTED/ IN HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE/ STEWKLEY MEN/ WHO FELL IN DEFENCE OF/ THEIR KING AND COUNTRY./ 1914 - 1918. The names of the 30 fallen from the First World War appear on the other three sides of the plinth, ten per side. They are grouped alphabetically by surname and are identified by rank and initials.
The names of the six fallen from the Second World War are listed on the lower part of the north side of the obelisk, with 1939 - 1945 above. They are also listed alphabetically with rank and initials.
The memorial is set in a small enclosure of granite paving surrounded with a low granite sett border.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Stewkley as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was created by Newman and Harper of Aylesbury and it was unveiled on 9 April 1922 by the Earl of Orkney.
Following the Second World War, the names of those who lost their lives in that conflict were also added.
Stewkley War Memorial, unveiled on 9 April 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet dignified granite obelisk.
Other nearby listed buildings