History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cleadon War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Cleadon, South Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9545 / 54°57'16"N

Longitude: -1.4012 / 1°24'4"W

OS Eastings: 438444

OS Northings: 562367

OS Grid: NZ384623

Mapcode National: GBR LCN4.FR

Mapcode Global: WHD4Z.FQZP

Entry Name: Cleadon War Memorial

Listing Date: 19 August 2016

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1436752

Location: South Tyneside, SR6

County: South Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Cleadon and East Boldon

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Cleadon

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Cleadon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Westoe

Summary

First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.

Description

MATERIALS: Heworth stone, Welsh slate, metal plaques.

DESCRIPTION: The war memorial stands in a garden on Front Street, in front of Cleadon Tower (Grade II-listed). It takes the form of a large rough-hewn Heworth stone boulder raised on a rocky cairn. At the top of the front face of the boulder a wreath is carved in low relief, below which a plaque of South Welsh slate with a carved border of oak leaves bears the principal dedicatory inscription. This reads IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF CLEADON WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 – 1919/ (14 NAMES)/ ALSO IN TRIBUTE TO THOSE WHO SERVED/ (107 NAMES).

The rocky cairn was originally round on plan, encircling and supporting the boulder. The front quadrant of the cairn was cut away to let in the Second World War component of the memorial. That comprises a stone altar, rectangular on plan, with a sword carved in low relief on the upper surface of the altar table. The front of the altar bears a South Welsh slate plaque recording the later inscription LET US ALSO REMEMBER/ THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (32 NAMES).

A stone block, the top of which is shaped in the form of an open book with metal plaques fixed to the two open pages, stands at the foot of the altar. The plaque to the left reads IN MEMORY OF/ THOSE YOUNG/ MEN AND WOMEN/ FROM CLEADON/ COTTAGE HOMES/ WHO SERVED/ DURING THE/ WORLD WARS/ 1914-1919/ 1939-1945. The plaque to the right reads THEY THAT PUT/ ASIDE TODAY/ ALL THE JOYS/ OF THEIR TODAY/ AND WITH TOIL/ OF THEIR TODAY/ BOUGHT FOR US/ TOMORROW/ RUDYARD KIPLING.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The garden is enclosed by a chain supported on low posts. A flagpole stands to the rear of the memorial. These features are not of special interest.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

History

Cleadon War Memorial was unveiled on 13 November 1920 by Lt-Col G Pollard and dedicated by the vicar, Reverend RP Moorsom. It cost £300, raised by public subscription, and was sculpted by Thomas Curry of South Shields. It commemorates 14 local servicemen who died in the First World War and marks the service of a further 107 who returned. Following the Second World War the details of 32 men who fell in that conflict were added with an adaption to the front of the memorial by E Smyth of Sunderland.

In 1997 an additional dedication commemorating men and women who served in both the First and Second World Wars, and who as children had been residents of Cleadon Cottage Homes, was also raised at the foot of the memorial: this was carved by Karl Fisher of Sunderland. Cleadon Cottage Homes were a row of houses off Sunniside Lane, built in 1909. Each house provided accommodation for up to 20 children, cared for by a house-mother or -father. A further building for staff and administration was provided. The boys and girls received education and vocational training. The Homes closed in 1962.

Reasons for Listing

Cleadon War Memorial, which stands on Front Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an imposing memorial built in a local stone;
* Group value: with Cleadon Tower (Grade II-listed).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.