This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7232 / 51°43'23"N
Longitude: -1.6426 / 1°38'33"W
OS Eastings: 424784
OS Northings: 202778
OS Grid: SP247027
Mapcode National: GBR 5TT.ZFQ
Mapcode Global: VHC05.GYZD
Entry Name: Langford War Memorial
Listing Date: 31 August 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1437452
Location: Langford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Langford
Built-Up Area: Langford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Langford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial of 1920 with further names added after the Second World War.
Langford war memorial comprises a plain stone Latin cross, the shaft and arms of which are octagonal in form. It is set upon an octagonal plinth inscribed on multiple faces.
The north face reads: TO THE/ HONOURED MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF THIS PARISH/ WHO DIED/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918. The west face reads: ALSO IN/ THANKSGIVING/ FOR THE/ LIVES SPARED/ AND FOR/ VICTORY/ OVER THE ENEMY. The south face is inscribed with the quote: GREATER LOVE/ HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN/ LAY DOWN HIS LIFE/ FOR HIS FRIENDS. One further side is inscribed with the names of the fallen.
The following dedication to the fallen of the Second World War has been added to the north-west face: ALSO/ IN HONOURED/ MEMORY OF/ THOSE OF THIS/ PARISH WHO/ FELL IN THE/ WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The plinth stands on a three-stepped base with the north face of the middle step inscribed with: ERECTED/ BY THE PARISHIONERS/ 1920.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Langford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Created in 1920, the war memorial commemorates nine local servicemen who died during the First World War. Following the Second World War, a dedication was added to commemorate the three fallen of that conflict.
A roll of honour associated with this memorial, in the form of a scroll, is located in the porch of St Matthew's Church.
In 2011 the memorial was cleaned and repaired with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Langford War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet striking memorial cross;
* Group value: with Grade II-listed buildings around the green including Dunford House, Greystones, Threeways and Bridgewater House.
Other nearby listed buildings