This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9299 / 52°55'47"N
Longitude: -1.4727 / 1°28'21"W
OS Eastings: 435543
OS Northings: 337077
OS Grid: SK355370
Mapcode National: GBR PLC.81
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.BMZ6
Entry Name: Little Chester War Memorial
Listing Date: 18 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1437467
Location: Derby, DE1
County: City of Derby
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
Unitary Authority Ward: Darley
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Chester Green St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Derby
First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920, with the addition of two Second World War memorial tablets. The stone wall into which the two Second World War memorial tablets are set is excluded from the listing.
First World War memorial, unveiled and dedicated in 1920, with two Second World War memorial tablets placed beside it in 1947. It was re-sited in the late C20.
MATERIALS: of granite.
PLAN: the First World War memorial is rectangular on plan and faces north-east. It stands in front of a short section of late-C20 coursed rubble stone walling within which two Second World War memorial tablets are set.
DESCRIPTION: the First World War memorial comprises a two-step base on which stands a tall obelisk which tapers in rectangular section to a moulded top. Set upon the obelisk is a plain Latin cross with the centre inscribed with the christogram 'IHS'. The north-east face of the obelisk is inscribed with the names of 75 men who died, arranged by service then by rank and surname. The dedicatory inscription is inscribed on the base and reads 'ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS / IN LOVING AND GRATEFUL / MEMORY, AND HIGH APPRECIATION / OF THE ABOVE; WHO LAID DOWN / THEIR LIVES IN THE / GREAT EUROPEAN WAR / 1914-1920. / ON THAT HAPPY EASTER MORNING / ALL THE GRAVES THEIR DEAD RESTORE, / FATHER, MOTHER, CHILD, AND BRETHREN / MEET ONCE MORE.’
The war memorial stands in front of a late-C20 coursed rubble stone wall within which two Second World War memorial tablets are set, flanking each side of the First World War memorial. The left-hand side tablet is inscribed with the dedicatory inscription and reads ‘KEEP IN REMEMBRANCE / THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH RECORDED HERE / THEY GAVE THEIR LIVES THAT / JUSTICE, FREEDOM, LOVE AND MERCY / SHOULD SURVIVE’. The right-hand side tablet reads ‘1939-1945' below which are the names of 26 men who died. Whilst the tablets are listed the wall itself is architecturally modest and is excluded from the listing.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected outside the Church of St Paul in Little Chester (also known as Chester Green), Derby, to commemorate 75 men of the parish who fought and died. It was unveiled on 9 May 1920 by the Mayor of Derby, Councillor AJ Eggerton, and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Derby, Dr Noakes, with the vicar of St Paul's, the Reverend WH Symonds, also present. The memorial was designed and sculpted by Messrs F Garratt and Sons of Nottingham Road, Derby, and cost £300, with the money being raised by public subscription. It replaced a temporary memorial which had been erected in December 1917.
In May 1922 a second parish memorial was unveiled in the form of two new rooms and a roll of honour at St Paul's Church Schools in Mansfield Street. The roll of honour recorded the names of 141 men who fought and died along with 330 men who served and returned. Following the closure of the school in 1965, and its subsequent demolition, in 1967, the roll of honour was installed in the church.
Following the Second World War, two memorial tablets were installed alongside the First World War memorial, to commemorate the 26 men of the parish who fought and died during this conflict. It was unveiled and dedicated at a ceremony held on 7 September 1947 and was again designed and sculpted by Messrs F Garratt and Sons of Derby.
In the late-C20, as part of a road improvement scheme, the memorial was moved from its original location on the west side of Mansfield Street and re-sited c7m to the north-east, within a new paved area to the north-east of the east end of the church.
Little Chester War Memorial at the Church of St Paul, Derby, unveiled and dedicated in 1920, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of an obelisk surmounted by a Latin cross;
* Group value: with the Church of St Paul (listed Grade II);
* Relation to wider context: it makes a significant contribution to the character and appearance of the Little Chester Conservation Area, Derby.
Other nearby listed buildings