This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9682 / 51°58'5"N
Longitude: -0.9574 / 0°57'26"W
OS Eastings: 471720
OS Northings: 230480
OS Grid: SP717304
Mapcode National: GBR BZG.JS1
Mapcode Global: VHDT9.CS6K
Entry Name: Padbury War Memorial
Listing Date: 31 August 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1437595
Location: Padbury, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Padbury
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Padbury
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1920.
The memorial is situated beside the junction of Main Street and Old End, in close proximity to a number of Grade II-listed buildings including Ivy Farmhouse, Vine Cottage, 7 and 8 Old End, and Everley. It takes the form of a tapering, rough-hewn, granite obelisk, square on plan and c2m high. The obelisk stands on a square plinth, raised on one step.
The centres of all four sides of the plinth have been inset and smoothed. Each face bears names or dedications. All lettering is in applied black-painted metal letters. The main dedication on the north-west face of the plinth reads ERECTED BY PUBLIC/ SUBSCRIPTION IN MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE/ WHO DIED IN DEFENCE OF/ THEIR KING AND COUNTRY./ 1914 - 1918. The names of the fallen are recorded on the south-east face, appearing in order of rank with initials and surname.
On the north-east face is the biblical quotation "THEREFORE SHALL THEY/ RECEIVE A GLORIOUS/ KINGDOM AND A BEAUTIFUL/ CROWN FROM THE LORD'S/ HAND." with to the south-west face "THINE, O LORD, IS THE/ GREATNESS, AND THE/ POWER, AND THE GLORY,/ AND THE VICTORY."
The memorial is enclosed by iron railings forming a small square enclosure.
Padbury War Memorial was dedicated on 25 April 1920. It was constructed by Messrs Newman and Harper, also responsible for ten other memorials in Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire including those at Weedon, Bishopstone, and Aston Clinton (all Grade II-listed). Padbury’s memorial commemorated 16 local servicemen who died in the First World War. One further name was added in 2015 and the memorial was refurbished in 2014.
Padbury War Memorial, which stands at the junction of Main Street and Old End, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet well-proportioned granite obelisk;
* Group value: with a number of Grade II-listed buildings in the vicinity.
Other nearby listed buildings