This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2666 / 52°15'59"N
Longitude: 0.3744 / 0°22'27"E
OS Eastings: 562124
OS Northings: 265813
OS Grid: TL621658
Mapcode National: GBR N9H.ZD4
Mapcode Global: VHJGH.F9S8
Entry Name: Exning War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 October 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1438026
Location: Exning, Forest Heath, Suffolk, CB8
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Exning
Built-Up Area: Newmarket
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Exning St Martin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
First World War memorial, unveiled 5 June 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
MATERIALS: Cornish granite.
DESCRIPTION: Exning War Memorial consists of a Latin cross with encircling carved detailing. On the face is a smaller cross carved in relief with the inscription 1914 – 1918 in lead lettering.
The cross surmounts a hexagonal tapering shaft with a collar at its top and moulded base. The base of the shaft on three sides carries a carved detail in relief.
The shaft rises from a square plinth with each face bearing indented panels which carry the inscriptions, formed in lead lettering. The front face reads OUR/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD. The other three faces carry the list of the names of the fallen from the First World War.
The plinth is set upon on a three-stepped base with the top step inscribed with 1914 – 1918 & 1939 – 1945. In front of this is a stone book which is inscribed 1939 – 1945/ (NAMES).
The memorial is enclosed by a low granite kerb and posts with a chain link fence.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Exning as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
On 30 November 1920 Exning War Memorial Committee accepted a design for the memorial submitted by W J Nutty of Cheveley at a cost of £624 12s 6d. The memorial was unveiled on 5 June 1921 in front of over 5,000 people by Lt-Colonel W E Guinness with the dedication led by Canon W T Farmiloe of Bury St Edmunds Diocese. The war memorial commemorates 80 local servicemen who lost their lives in the First World War.
Following the Second World War, 25 names of those who lost their lives in that conflict were added on a stone book at the base of the memorial.
The memorial was relocated c 10m to the north in 1998 away from a road junction.
Exning War Memorial, unveiled 5 June 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant granite Latin cross with carved decorative details;
* Group value: with the White Horse Public House (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings