This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9183 / 51°55'6"N
Longitude: -0.8853 / 0°53'7"W
OS Eastings: 476760
OS Northings: 225011
OS Grid: SP767250
Mapcode National: GBR C04.QZ7
Mapcode Global: VHDTQ.L1TQ
Entry Name: Granborough War Memorial
Listing Date: 15 September 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1438054
Location: Granborough, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Granborough
Built-Up Area: Granborough
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Granborough
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial designed by F E Howard and unveiled on 24 July 1921.
MATERIALS: Clipsham limestone.
DESCRIPTION: Granborough War Memorial stands nearly 5m high and comprises a Gothic-style Latin cross with tracery detailing in the angles of each arm. It is set upon a tapering shaft upon an octagonal plinth.
The plinth bears the inscription in carved letters which reads 1914 – 1918/ THEIR NAME/ LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE. A second face of the plinth is inscribed IN HONOURED/ REMEMBRANCE/ OF ALL WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ AND ESPECIALLY/ OF THOSE FROM/ GRANBOROUGH.
The plinth is set upon an octagonal two-tiered base, the upper tier of which is inscribed with the names of five men who fell in the First World War.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Granborough as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The war memorial was designed by F E Howard and constructed by W Wise and Son. F E Howard (1888 – 1934) was also responsible for other war memorials including those at the Church of Holy Trinity, Balsham, Cambridgeshire (Grade II) and Steeple Ashton, Oxfordshire (Grade II).
Granborough War Memorial was unveiled by Mrs Frederick Verney on 24 July 1921 with the dedication ceremony conducted by the Rev E G Walmsley.
In 2011 the memorial was cleaned and repaired with the help of grant aid from War Memorials Trust.
Granborough War Memorial, designed by F E Howard and unveiled on 24 July 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: an elegant Latin cross with carved decorative details;
* Group value: with the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings