This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5027 / 51°30'9"N
Longitude: -0.3809 / 0°22'51"W
OS Eastings: 512474
OS Northings: 179442
OS Grid: TQ124794
Mapcode National: GBR 4L.4MY
Mapcode Global: VHFTD.BHZC
Entry Name: Southall War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 December 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1440943
Location: Ealing, London, UB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Southall Green
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Southall Green
Church of England Diocese: London
First World War memorial, designed by James Thomson, surveyor to the Council, unveiled on 8 April 1922, with Second World War additions.
MATERIALS: Portland stone with a York stone base.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is located outside the Manor House, Southall. It consists of a cenotaph standing nearly 4m high and set upon a three-stepped base.
The front face of the cenotaph is inscribed with: IN GRATEFUL / MEMORY OF OUR / LOCAL HEROES / WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES IN / THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918/ 1939 – 1945.
The bottom step holds an enclosure of metal posts and chain link fence.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Southall as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Southall War Memorial was unveiled on 8 April 1922 by Col Sidney Peel DSO MP for Uxbridge (Southall being in that constituency from 1918-1939). The memorial was designed by James Thomson, surveyor to the Council, and was constructed by the Southall Masonry Company. The original intention was to build and endow a cottage hospital, however, insufficient funds were raised so the decision was taken to build a cenotaph instead. There were bronze brackets at each side for flags.
Southall War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an elegant and striking cenotaph in Portland stone;
* Designer: by James Thomson, surveyor to the Council;
* Group value: with the Manor House (Grade II*).
Other nearby listed buildings