This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9761 / 54°58'34"N
Longitude: -1.8164 / 1°48'59"W
OS Eastings: 411848
OS Northings: 564628
OS Grid: NZ118646
Mapcode National: GBR HBRW.KZ
Mapcode Global: WHC3N.2692
Entry Name: Wylam War Memorial
Listing Date: 15 February 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1442824
Location: Wylam, Northumberland, NE41
Civil Parish: Wylam
Built-Up Area: Wylam
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Wylam St Oswin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
First World War memorial by W Dixon and Sons of Newcastle, unveiled 1923, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands on War Memorial Green, to the north end of Wylam Bridge. The tall cross in Windy Nook stone comprises an ornamented Latin cross that rises from a moulded collar on a tapering shaft. The moulded shaft foot stands on a plinth, octagonal on plan, that stands on Heworth stone steps. The stepped base is surrounded by York stone flagstones.
Four of the plinth’s faces bear bronze plaques. The principal dedicatory inscription on the plaque to the front face reads ERECTED BY/ THE PEOPLE OF/ WYLAM/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THOSE WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ “THEY WERE A WALL UNTO US/ BOTH BY NIGHT AND DAY.”/ I.SAM.XXV.16. This plaque is ornamented with a small wreath and a border of interlace pattern.
To either side of that plaque on the adjacent plinth faces are similar plaques listing the commemorated First World War names. The fourth plaque reads 1939 – 1945/ (11 NAMES).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 February 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Wylam as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
The memorial was unveiled on 10 March 1923 by CJW Blackett, Lord of the Manor, and dedicated by the Vicar, Reverend HH Barff, and the Methodist Minister, Reverend George Mills. Colonel EPC Riddell CMG DSO gave the address. The memorial commemorates 42 local servicemen who died in the First World War. Designed by W Dixon and Sons of Newcastle, it cost c£700, raised by public subscription. The site for the memorial was donated by the landowner, CJW Blackett. Following the Second World War the names of 11 men who died in that conflict were added.
Messrs William Dixon and Sons, surveyors and architects of Newcastle, were also responsible for the Grade II-listed Broomhaugh and Riding Mill war memorial cross.
Wylam War Memorial, which stands on War Memorial Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a tall memorial cross built in a complimentary suite of regional stone types.
Other nearby listed buildings