This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.997 / 53°59'49"N
Longitude: -1.5287 / 1°31'43"W
OS Eastings: 430996
OS Northings: 455767
OS Grid: SE309557
Mapcode National: GBR KQR6.VX
Mapcode Global: WHC8F.HS9P
Entry Name: Lamp post on Regent Parade
Listing Date: 24 August 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1444986
Location: Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG1
County: North Yorkshire
Electoral Ward/Division: High Harrogate
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Harrogate
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Decorative cast iron street lamp post, designed for Harrogate’s first electric street lighting installed from 1899 onwards.
Street lamp post, 1899 or later, lanterns replaced late C20.
FORM: a tall, cast iron post with a cylindrical base including an access door featuring the Harrogate coat of arms. Above this there is a series of bands leading to a beaded ring from which rises a pair of acanthus leaves which clasp the flared bottom of the post. After four further bands, including a flange and a crown of palm leaves, the post is a plain circular column until it reaches a square block which supports the ball-ended ladder supports. The top of the post is bell-ended, carrying further embossed decoration. The modern supports for the replacement light fittings are attached to the post above this point, being scroll work formed from steel rather than cast or wrought iron, the pair of lanterns being based on the early C20 ‘Rochester’ design.
Harrogate’s first electric powered street lamps were installed in 1899, just two years after electricity first became available in the town. The design of these lamp posts is thought to have been based on gas lamp posts installed in Victoria Avenue in the 1860s by the Victoria Park Company, being much taller than those installed by the Harrogate Gas Company from 1848 onwards. It is not known when this particular example was installed. The lanterns, with their supporting brackets, are late C20 replacements.
The lamp post opposite 16-17 Regent Parade is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date: as an early example of a lamp post designed for electricity, the design being specific to Harrogate and dating from 1899, one of only eight of this design thought to survive in the town;
* Design: for the interest of its elaborate decorative treatment, the design being a good example of Victorian mass-produced yet decorative street furniture, and a relatively early design intended for electricity.
Other nearby listed buildings