This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5715 / 52°34'17"N
Longitude: 1.2237 / 1°13'25"E
OS Eastings: 618549
OS Northings: 301962
OS Grid: TG185019
Mapcode National: GBR VGX.Q6J
Mapcode Global: WHLSN.RMWG
Entry Name: East Carleton War Memorial
Listing Date: 2 November 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1447686
Location: East Carleton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: East Carleton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
First World War memorial, unveiled 22 August 1920.
First World War memorial, 1920
DESCRIPTION: East Carleton War Memorial is located on the roadside at the junction between Intwood Lane and Catbridge Lane.
It takes the form of a Blomfield Cross of Sacrifice; an octagonal stone Latin cross with an inverted sword carved in relief to the face. The shaft has a moulded foot and rises from a two-tiered octagonal plinth on a single-stepped base.
The inscription is to the front face of the plinth and reads ERECTED BY THE/ PARISHIONERS OF/ EAST CARLETON/ IN THANKFULNESS/ FOR THEIR DELIVERANCE/ AND IN MEMORY OF/ ALL WHO SERVED AND/ OF THOSE WHO DIED/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at East Carleton as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
Proposals to erect a war memorial for the parish of East Carleton began in 1919; money was raised via public subscription, with just over £197 raised for the erection of a memorial cross and a tablet (recording the names of the local servicemen who died), which was to be placed within the parish church. The memorial cross was unveiled on 22 August 1920 by Colonel McNeill and dedicated by the Reverend C P B Ramsay. It was sculpted by Messrs G Maile and Son, sculptors and church furnishers who were responsible for building many war memorials across the country, a number of which are listed.
East Carleton War Memorial, which is situated by the roadside at the junction between Intwood Lane and Catbridge Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made during the First World War.
* as a well-executed example of Blomfield’s Cross of Sacrifice design.
Other nearby listed buildings