This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5075 / 51°30'26"N
Longitude: -2.0531 / 2°3'11"W
OS Eastings: 396407
OS Northings: 178730
OS Grid: ST964787
Mapcode National: GBR 2S0.HQ6
Mapcode Global: VHB3N.CCFP
Entry Name: Christian Malford War Memorial Cross
Listing Date: 8 November 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1451047
Location: Christian Malford, Wiltshire, SN15
Civil Parish: Christian Malford
Built-Up Area: Christian Malford
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
First World War granite memorial cross, unveiled 1919, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands within a small kerbed area on a triangular grass sward in the centre of the village, close to the Medieval Cross in the Garden of Croscote (scheduled, and Grade II-listed) and opposite the Old Malt House (Grade II).
The circa 2.9m tall memorial comprises a rough-hewn wheel-head cross on a tall shaft, rectangular in section, rising from a tapering plinth and single-stepped base. It is carved from Cornish granite. The front face of the cross head is ornamented with carved interlace patterns, and a hemispherical boss at the intersection of the cross arms.
The principal dedicatory inscription in applied metal lettering on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN THANKFUL AND HONOURED/ MEMORY OF OUR OWN WHO FOUGHT AND/ FELL IN THE GREAT EUROPEAN WAR/ 1914 - 1919/ (12 NAMES)/ “THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE”.
The later Second World War dedication, reading 1939 - 1945/ (3 NAMES) is recorded on the right-hand face of the plinth.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Christian Malford as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 12 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed and erected by Messrs W Webb and Sons, of Chippenham, who also designed the war memorial in nearby Broughton Gifford (Grade II). The cost of the memorial was £70 10s excluding the inscription and names, and over £80 was raised by public subscription. The memorial was unveiled on 14 October 1919 by the Lord Bishop of Bristol. Following the Second World War, the names of three local men who died in that conflict were added.
Christian Malford War Memorial Cross, which stands at the junction of The Green and Church Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* a simple yet poignant granite memorial cross, incorporating carved interlace patterns in the Celtic style.
* with the medieval cross in the Garden of Croscote (scheduled and Grade II-listed), and The Old Malt House (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings