This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5792 / 52°34'45"N
Longitude: -3.0916 / 3°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 326128
OS Northings: 298491
OS Grid: SO261984
Mapcode National: GBR B2.BPJK
Mapcode Global: WH7B3.HF1K
Entry Name: Chirbury War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 November 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1451201
Location: Chirbury with Brompton, Shropshire, SY15
Civil Parish: Chirbury with Brompton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
First World War memorial, erected 1918.
Tall gabled sandstone cross, replete with a sculpture of Christ with INRI scroll; the front face of the bottom section of the cross bears the inscription REMEMBER YE / [illegible] LORD. This stands on a plinth, the front face of which reads ALL THESE / FROM THIS PARISH WHO FELL FOR / KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR / 1914 - 1918 / (names). This stands on another plinth, the front face of which bears further names. The whole stands on a stone platform.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead: therefore the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised in Chirbury as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by the members of the local community.
It was initially erected in 1918 by a Mr Marshall, in memory of his son who was killed in the Australian forces; a few years later it was adopted as the war memorial for the whole village.
Chirbury War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War;
* Architectural interest: as a dignified and attractive war memorial;
* Group value: with the adjacent Grade I-listed Church of St Michael and the various Grade II-listed tombs in the churchyard.
Other nearby listed buildings