This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.7959 / 55°47'45"N
Longitude: -4.058 / 4°3'28"W
OS Eastings: 271077
OS Northings: 657765
OS Grid: NS710577
Mapcode National: GBR 013F.85
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.MLV3
Entry Name: Bothwell, River Clyde, Bothwell Bridge
Listing Date: 21 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 336479
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB5138
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Civil Parish: Bothwell
Unitary Authority Ward: Blantyre
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Earlier 17th century, widened and altered, 1826, widened further with walkways attached, 1871. 4 weathered pink sandstone ashlar round arches with chamfered ribs to W, ashlar soffits, voussoirs and abutments. 3/4 height triangular-plan cutwaters between arches to W with downswept sectional ends; half height triangular-plan cutwaters with band course to E; re-inforced bases to piers and cutwaters. Cantilevered and bracketed cast-iron latticework parapets with regular piers to each side, abutting coped sandstone approach walls (some stugged ashlar, some squared rubble) to N and S.
De-scheduled 14 November 1994. Carries the B7071 over the Clyde to the south of Bothwell. From 1787 the bridge was used by the Glasgow to Carlisle coach. The oldest and most interesting parts of the bridge are the ribbed, original sections to the west. A feature of pre-1700 bridge construction the ribs remain in good condition with scrolled terminals. It is reported that the originally bridge was 5 spans and very narrow and steeply sloping towards the centre, on which stood a gatehouse for the collection of tolls; its present form, however, with its 4 even arches, would conter this supposition. A bridge of great importance being the site of the famous battle between the Covenanters and their Royalist persecutors. Religious differences between the two sides culminated on 3rd May 1679 when the Covenanters murdered Archbishop James Sharp of St. Andrews. On 22nd July 1679, seeking to quash such activities, the Royalist Highland Army of the Duke of Monmouth took up arms against the Covenanters and the Battle of Bothwell was fought, the Royalists on the Bothwell side of the bridge and the Covenanters camped to the South. After a bloody battle the Covenanters were routed, with 400 of their number killed and 1200 taken prisoner, with the majority later executed.
Other nearby listed buildings