This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.8817 / 57°52'54"N
Longitude: -4.3974 / 4°23'50"W
OS Eastings: 257936
OS Northings: 890550
OS Grid: NH579905
Mapcode National: GBR H7JW.SHK
Mapcode Global: WH3CB.F573
Entry Name: Gledfield House, Walled Garden and Loggia
Listing Date: 18 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338982
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB7169
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Kincardine (Highland)
Local Authority Ward: North, West and Central Sutherland
Parish: Kincardine (Highland)
House; mansion with late 18th/early 19th century core; substantial additions, Ross and Macbeth, 1895 and 1907. Mainly 2-storey and attic over rasied basement. Pink harled with tooled ashlar margins. South elevation; original 2-storey and attic house over raised basement, 3 bays wide, forms centre piece with centre entrance approached by flight
of steps; present lugged and moulded doorpiece and glazed door date from later alterations. Slightly advanced centre bay with late 19th century shaped gable and apex stack; flanking ground floor tripartites. centre block flanked by late 19th century 2-storey over raised basement, wide bowed bays, each with 3 windows in ground floor and with 1st floor tripartites rising into piended dormers. West gable of western bay with shaped gable.
Further addition (ballroom, probably 1907) at east gable comprising single storey over raised basement, wide single bay with simple Venetian window under shaped and finialled gable; east elevation of ballroom a wide shallow bow with 3 windows to ground and basement.
East elevation; extensive east facing additions extend to rear, of varying heights, including 2 further bowed bays, tripartites and piended dormers rear elevation of this wing mainly service, with irregular fenestration and 3 small piended dormers.
12-pane glazing; corniced end and ridge stacks; slate roofs.
Interior; rambling interior with original late 18th century plan much altered. Very fine late 19th/early 20th century Adamesque plaster ceilings and cornices in drawing room, and dining room and ballroom. Dados and fine chimneypieces date from same period. Late 19th century staircase. Walled garden and garden loggia. Large walled garden to west of house, ashlar coped rubble wall. Late 19th/early 20th century shallow classical temple fronted loggia in centre of west wall; all polished ashlar; wide pediment above deep entablature supported by 4 Ionic columns; crested oval medallion in centre of pediment with Matheson arms.
Gledfield a "gentleman's residence" by 1840. Purchased by Sir Alexander Matheson of Ardross (Ross and Cromarty) in 1847. Photograph of Gledfield House before alterations and before 1895 in possession of present owner.
Other nearby listed buildings