This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.3817 / 56°22'54"N
Longitude: -2.8835 / 2°53'0"W
OS Eastings: 345542
OS Northings: 721394
OS Grid: NO455213
Mapcode National: GBR 2N.1S5V
Mapcode Global: WH7RR.PV4L
Entry Name: Leuchars, Schoolhill, St Athernase Parish Church
Listing Date: 17 October 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341053
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8842
Building Class: Cultural
Civil Parish: Leuchars
Unitary Authority Ward: Tay Bridgehead
Traditional County: Fife
1183-7 (?) consecrated 1244. Romanesque chancel of approx square plan (19'9" x 18' internally) and apse (12' x 12'6"). Ashlar-built, 2 orders of arcades externally, lower order of chancel interlaced (considerably restored John Milne, St Andrews, 1858) sculptured corbel table at wall head. Wooden roofed choir, vaulted apse; re-roofed shortly before 1638, domed bell turret added at apse probably later in century.
Nave: aisleless rectangle, much altered Robert Balfour (St Andrews) 1812-14 when N. gallery stair was added; rebuilt 1858 John Milne, but incorporating some original masonry on N side, Victorian Romanesque with symmetrical S front having centre gable arch porch. Chancel re-opened into nave and other repairs and renovations, Reginald Fairlie 1914,
font also by him 1922. Monuments: Carnegie of Kinnaird 1565, Sir Wm (1584) and Lady Agnes (1635) Bruce of Earlshall slabs now within church.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Special value as the immediate surroundings of the Romanesque part of the church. Former items 454, 457-60, 463 are now either demolished or reconstructed.
Other nearby listed buildings