This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.4024 / 56°24'8"N
Longitude: -2.8313 / 2°49'52"W
OS Eastings: 348789
OS Northings: 723661
OS Grid: NO487236
Mapcode National: GBR 2P.0RVB
Mapcode Global: WH7RS.GBZP
Entry Name: Kinshaldy House and Farmsteading
Listing Date: 28 April 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 341078
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8865
Building Class: Cultural
Civil Parish: Leuchars
Unitary Authority Ward: Tay Bridgehead
Traditional County: Fife
1878. Large integrated farm and steading group incorporating some early 19th century masonry at farmhouse. Quadrangular plan with detached L-plan block at SW angle, whinstone rubble with stugged white sandstone dressings throughout except at older part of farmhouse where they are droved. South range comprises 2-storey 5 bay farmhouse, mainly 1878 but with 12-pane sashes to match the earlier part. 3-stage Italianate water tower of red brick with white brick dressings added at 2nd bay from left c 1885, segment-headed windows ground and 1st, corbelled triple arches at 2nd, ground floor forms porch with cantilevered pentice hood on west face, further door at 4th bay, so that section E of tower forms symmetrical 3 window unit. Western ground floor window altered; bothy block to east single storey 2 bipartite windows flanked by 2 doors, matchboarded interiors with original ranges. Main elevation of steading is to east, symmetrical with corbelled and finialled apices to gables, that over the central semi-elliptical pend arch with large cast-iron weather vane; N and S gables have pairs of inverted keyhole slits,
sculptured circular roundels above, that at N with salmon swimming in reeds, that at S with horses and plough and inscription 'SPEED THE' above and '1878' beneath, linking sections 3-bay with louvred openings. North elevation single storey L-plan, sliding doors in shallow rectangular recesses. Western threshing mill and barn range 2-storey, horsemill and engine house on W face unfortunately demolished and threshing mill removed, 2 semi elliptical cartshed arches at S end on
court side. Court cobbled, roofed cattle court (perhaps of letter date) demolished. Single-storey L-plan SW range has doocot in loft of northern arm with entrances at N gable. 3 cartshed openings in N face of SE arm. Large walled garden adjoining on S dated 1902, gabled gateways N and S.
Further alterations 1987/8.
Other nearby listed buildings