This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.2273 / 55°13'38"N
Longitude: -2.9833 / 2°58'59"W
OS Eastings: 337552
OS Northings: 593007
OS Grid: NY375930
Mapcode National: GBR 77LZ.XY
Mapcode Global: WH7YB.4WN1
Entry Name: Meikledale Farmhouse
Listing Date: 3 August 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 342087
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB9772
Building Class: Cultural
County: Dumfries and Galloway
Electoral Ward: Annandale East and Eskdale
Traditional County: Dumfriesshire
Dated 1736. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with alterations and
additions including (? late 18th century) E flanking wing.
Rubble-built with ashlar dressings and margins.
S ELEVATION: gabled central porch added probably late in 19th
century; windows in outer bays doubled to bipartite, re-using
original dressings; margins all deeply-chamfered. Straight skews
and rebuilt end stacks; slate roofs. Blocked low door with
relieving arch at S end of either gable; 2 blocked attic lights
in E gable. Rear (N) additions in 3 main phases: full-height NE
wing mid 18th century with E-facing window with chamfered
margins: addition to E with roof swept over and in re-entrant
angle mainly 19th century.
INTERIOR: re-modelled; wide segmental-arched fireplace with
chamfered edges and oven recesses, formerly built up, exposed
Detached E flanking wing extends S from house with basket-arched
cart opening (now garage) below loft window in S gable; stables
and bothy contained at N end. Deep circular well shaft at NE neatly-lined with red rubble.
W flanking wing demolished latter half of 19th century.
Category B for unusual older fabric incorporated.
Other nearby listed buildings