This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.54 / 55°32'23"N
Longitude: -5.12 / 5°7'11"W
OS Eastings: 203235
OS Northings: 631784
OS Grid: NS032317
Mapcode National: GBR FGQ2.CJV
Mapcode Global: WH1N4.B04S
Entry Name: Arran, Lamlash, Manse
Listing Date: 28 January 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346594
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13438
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ardrossan and Arran
Traditional County: Buteshire
1898. 2-storey, 3-bay, Gothic-detailed former manse, rectangular-plan with lower 2-storey service to wing to rear. Stugged and snecked, squared grey sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, harled gables and service wing, grey slate roof. Pointed-arch windows with chamfered arrises to front, 2-pane timber sash and case frames, gabled dormerheads. Deep bracketted eaves, wide bargeboards with decorative posts and collars to front. Coped end stacks.
FRONT ELEVATION: panelled door to centre approached by steps, pointed fanlight, stop-chamfered doorcase, decorative timber gabled porch on ashlar flanks; tripartite window to left, bipartite dormerhead above; 4-light canted window to right with stone slate roof, bipartite above at full-height gable. Left and right return elevations blank.
REAR ELEVATION: single and 2-storey service wing advanced at centre, window to ground floor and dormerhead above at main elevation left and right.
INTERIOR: decorative cornices, some original chimneypieces and joinery. BOUNDARY WALL: ashlar-coped rubble boundary wall.
Lamlash Free Church congregation disjoined from Brodick in 1885 and worshipped in the public school until their church was opened in 1892, the manse being built in 1898. The church became the United Free Church at the union of the Free and United Presbyterian Churches in 1900, subsequently forming one of the congregations of Lamlash Parish church at the union with the Church of Scotland in 1929.
St George's Church was in use until 1947, the manse remaining the manse for the united congregation until circa 1990.
Other nearby listed buildings