History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Vicarsfield Cemetery, Lodge

A Category B Listed Building in Leuchars, Fife

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.421 / 56°25'15"N

Longitude: -2.9132 / 2°54'47"W

OS Eastings: 343766

OS Northings: 725796

OS Grid: NO437257

Mapcode National: GBR VL.ZC9V

Mapcode Global: WH7RK.7V1Y

Entry Name: Vicarsfield Cemetery, Lodge

Listing Date: 5 August 1994

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 346633

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13476

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Leuchars

County: Fife

Civil Parish: Leuchars

Unitary Authority Ward: Tay Bridgehead

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Newport-On-Tay

Description

T M Cappon, 1895. Rectangular-plan cemetery on hillside site with lodge, boundary walls, gates, gatepiers and railings.

LODGE: Single storey, near square-plan lodge with later addition; rubble with heavy pointing and contrasting ashlar sandstone dressings. Chamfered arrises to windows. Cill course. Ashlar mullions. Panelled door in re-entrant angle formed in cut-away corner; bay behind with separate pyramidal, finialled roof. Narrow window at right angles in timber porch recess. Bipartite and tripartite windows on return to right; tripartite on return to left with advanced, harled later addition to outer left. 2 widely spaced bipartites to rear. Windows currently blocked (1994). Interior not seen. Slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Stone stack at centre.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: Scottish Renaissance style. 4 channelled ashlar gatepiers to drive and flanking pedestrian gates; base courses, nook shafts and architraves to taller central piers, pal stones flanking; base course and cavetto cornice to outer piers; all with ornate capitals of consoled, corniced shelves bearing ball finials. Decorative wrought-iron gates, 2-leaf to drive. Low quadrant walls flanking with wrought-iron railings. Boundary walls of ashlar coped rubble, broken regularly with decorative railings.

Statement of Interest

B-Group with Vicarsford Cemetery Chapel. The gates, gatepiers and railings were possibly by T M Cappon who was responsible for the Leng Memorial Chapel within the cemetery, 1897 (see separate listing). The lodge is included for group context with the entrance gates and hillside chapel.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.