This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.421 / 56°25'15"N
Longitude: -2.9132 / 2°54'47"W
OS Eastings: 343766
OS Northings: 725796
OS Grid: NO437257
Mapcode National: GBR VL.ZC9V
Mapcode Global: WH7RK.7V1Y
Entry Name: Vicarsford Cemetery, Lodge, Boundary Walls, Gates, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 5 August 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346633
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13476
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Tay Bridgehead
Traditional County: Fife
T M Cappon, 1895. Rectangular-plan cemetery on hillside site with lodge, boundary walls, gates, gatepiers and railings.
LODGE: Single storey, near square-plan lodge with later addition; rubble with heavy pointing and contrasting ashlar sandstone dressings. Chamfered arrises to windows. Cill course. Ashlar mullions. Panelled door in re-entrant angle formed in cut-away corner; bay behind with separate pyramidal, finialled roof. Narrow window at right angles in timber porch recess. Bipartite and tripartite windows on return to right; tripartite on return to left with advanced, harled later addition to outer left. 2 widely spaced bipartites to rear. Windows currently blocked (1994). Interior not seen. Slate roof with clay ridge tiles. Stone stack at centre.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: Scottish Renaissance style. 4 channelled ashlar gatepiers to drive and flanking pedestrian gates; base courses, nook shafts and architraves to taller central piers, pal stones flanking; base course and cavetto cornice to outer piers; all with ornate capitals of consoled, corniced shelves bearing ball finials. Decorative wrought-iron gates, 2-leaf to drive. Low quadrant walls flanking with wrought-iron railings. Boundary walls of ashlar coped rubble, broken regularly with decorative railings.
B-Group with Vicarsford Cemetery Chapel. The gates, gatepiers and railings were possibly by T M Cappon who was responsible for the Leng Memorial Chapel within the cemetery, 1897 (see separate listing). The lodge is included for group context with the entrance gates and hillside chapel.