This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.0643 / 56°3'51"N
Longitude: -3.1999 / 3°11'59"W
OS Eastings: 325388
OS Northings: 686368
OS Grid: NT253863
Mapcode National: GBR 28.PT8M
Mapcode Global: WH6S0.TTFW
Entry Name: Kingswoodend, Kinghorn Road, Alexander Iii Monument
Listing Date: 10 September 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 346828
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13639
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy
Traditional County: Fife
Hippolyte J Blanc, 1886; John Rhind, sculptor. 3-stage, 28' high, cross-finialled, shafted memorial of red Peterhead granite set on natural bedrock and surmounted by bronze Celtic Cross. 2-tier base below pedestal with moulded panel to N face worded:
..."TO THE ILLUSTRIOUS/ALEXANDER III/THE LAST OF SCOTLAND'S CELTIC KINGS/WHO WAS ACCIDENTALLY KILLED/NEAR THIS SPOT/MARCH XIX MCCLXXXVI/ERECTED ON/THE SEX-CENTENARY OF HIS DEATH".
Battered coping giving way to reduced 2nd stage with bronze figured sculpture to N, topped with small recessed panel to each face bearing heraldic shields as follows:
W face with Arms of Scotland and of Comte de Dreux; E face with Lion Rampant of Scotland and 3 Lions of England; S face with Scottish National Emblem of St Andrew on Cross; N face with Arms of Scotland.
Square-plan shaft above with engaged colonnettes to angles, each face trefoil-headed and corniced; moulded gablet cope with carved tympanum supporting foliate cross.
Alexander III met his death on or near the spot which tradition has attached to the Black Stone upon which this monument is erected. Various versions of his death abound but seem to agree that it resulted from a fall from his horse on a stormy night. Previously a stone cross marked the site but this was ruinous by the 19th century and Professor Bruce, owner of Kingswood lands, proposed a replacement as early as the 1840s. Interest was renewed by 1885 when donations were received from Queen Victoria (?15) and the Burntisland Oil Company (?10), the total cost being ?330. The memorial was unveiled on 19th July 1887, by the Earl of Elgin and Kincardine, Lord Lieutenant of Fife. Inside the pedestal is a jar containing items representative of the late Victorian period, including issues of various newspapers and coins. Stone was obtained from the Pentland and Solway Firths, most northerly and southerly limits of Alexander's kingdom, and from Dunfermline where he is buried. Up-graded C(S) to B 31.3.95.
Other nearby listed buildings