This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.5248 / 57°31'29"N
Longitude: -1.8311 / 1°49'51"W
OS Eastings: 410216
OS Northings: 848302
OS Grid: NK102483
Mapcode National: GBR P8TT.ZSC
Mapcode Global: WHBQ7.V478
Entry Name: Inverugie Castle
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 347115
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB13893
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Fergus
Electoral Ward: Peterhead North and Rattray
Parish: St Fergus
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Ruin comprising tower house with 2 courtyards, to W. and N.W.
TOWERHOUSE early 17th century, originally 4-storey rubble-built
with circular towers N.E. and S.E., stair turret on W. Blown up
1899, only stump remains; COURTYARDS:- 2-storey S. range of the
S. court and inner gate fairly complete but roofless, outer gate
of 1670 (see C. & D. Arch and Giles) removed; range between N.
& S. courts very ruined, E. wing of N. court overgrown; N.
building of N. court now cottage 2-storey 2-window harled and whitewashed, ground floor windows recently enlarged and roof now shingled.
Scheduled Monument. Built by George 5th Earl Marischal (d.1623).
The works were continued Earl William Marischal (succ.1635,
d.1671). Confiscated 1745. Purchased by Fergusons of Pitfour
1764. Subsequently repaired and observatory added after 1795
by James Ferguson M.P. of Pitfour (d. 1820) but dismantled by
Admiral Ferguson prior to 1837. There are the remains of an
outbuilding of the castle in Castlebrae grounds.