This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 57.0869 / 57°5'12"N
Longitude: -7.3067 / 7°18'24"W
OS Eastings: 78656
OS Northings: 812055
OS Grid: NF786120
Mapcode National: GBR 89CZ.S19
Mapcode Global: WGW5V.Q4SF
Entry Name: South Uist, Eriskay, St Michael's R.c. Church
Listing Date: 15 January 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352916
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18770
Building Class: Cultural
Location: South Uist
County: Na h-Eileanan Siar
Electoral Ward: Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas
Parish: South Uist
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Opened May 1903. Plain Gothic apsidal church (with presbytery
adjoining) raised on hill overlooking village. Coursed
squared rubble, contrasting painted margins and long and
short dressings. South gable gallery window and windows
flanking cross in apse with stylised plate tracery; other
windows lancets, single 2 or 3-light. Porch at south end of
east wall has pointed doorway and corbelled apex belfry.
Cross finial. Slate roof.
Interior: triple-arched chancel screen with cusped framing
above; altar supported on boat's bow, ship's lamp on nearby
column. Gallery to south with balustraded front. Stone font
in porch may be from an earlier building. Enclosed by
rubble-built wall (harled at south and at east).
Iron bell to north east on iron frame is from S.M.S.
Derfflinger, and recovered from Scapa Flow.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Built during ministry of Father Allan MacDonald, poet and
Presbytery is too altered to merit inclusion on the list.