History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Linton, Old Tyne Bridge

A Category A Listed Building in East Linton, East Lothian

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9852 / 55°59'6"N

Longitude: -2.6545 / 2°39'16"W

OS Eastings: 359261

OS Northings: 677111

OS Grid: NT592771

Mapcode National: GBR 2X.VX5Z

Mapcode Global: WH8VY.6T6J

Entry Name: East Linton, Old Tyne Bridge

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 363288

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26632

Building Class: Cultural

Location: East Linton

County: East Lothian

Town: East Linton

Unitary Authority Ward: Dunbar and East Linton

Traditional County: East Lothian

Find accommodation in
East Linton

Description

Mid-late 16th century, with later alterations and repairs
dated 1763 and 1934. 2 arched, ribbed bridge over River
Tyne, (carrying old post road), aligned NW and SE 98 ft
length, 31 ft 6 ins above river bed squared and coursed
red and yellow sandstone.
Central pier with stepped cutwater of droved masonry;
upper cut water 6 ft high. 2 segmental arches tied with
rods and straps, with yellow chamfered voussoirs. 4
chamfered ribs to soffits, flanked by 3 ft wide unribbed
strips with keystone dated 1763. Impost moulding to
abutments, discontinued where widened at SE.
Abutments splayed onto banks. Parapet of gablet coped
coursed sandstone; string course and 3 red sandstone dies.

Statement of Interest

Repair before parliament in 1625, 1639 and 1661. Keystone date

1763 presumably refers to widening. Concrete laid on extrados

of arches circa 1884 parapets raised circa 1895. Further repairs

indicated by incised date 1934. Arrangement of chamfered ribs

and impost moulding at springing-line similar to Abbey Bridge, near

Haddington. A stone bridge existed here in 1547, crossed by

English infantry and destroyed to delay their retreat.

Probably rebuilt circa 1560.

Formerly a ford was situated about 100 yds upstream. A

shallow weir runs NE from the central pier. Bridge adjoins

No 5 Bridge End to NW.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.