This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9697 / 55°58'10"N
Longitude: -3.1577 / 3°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 327838
OS Northings: 675793
OS Grid: NT278757
Mapcode National: GBR 8W7.WJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.G6KW
Entry Name: 2 and 3 Claremont Park with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Lamp Brackets
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363384
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26700
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Probably Thomas Hamilton, circa 1827. Terraced pair of classical houses. 2-storey, 6-bay main block flanked by single storey pavilions. Polished ashlar sandstone to front; coursed squared rubble to sides and rear with ashlar quoins. Base course, cill course to 1st floor windows, eaves cornice and blocking course; all to main block. Base and blocking courses to pavilions.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical composition; regularly fenestrated. Entrance doors in centre bays framed by 3 pilasters with uniting cornice above. Panelled door to No 3; plate glass rectangular fanlights. Single window to each pavilion; further modern single bay extension to right; screen wall to left.
W AND E ELEVATIONS: blank gable walls.
S ELEVATION: ground floor not seen 1995. Regularly disposed 4 bays to 1st floor. Rectangular dormer at No 3; roof lights.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to front except for 12-pane window to left pavilion. Rear 1st floor windows: plate glass timber sash and case at No 2; 12-pane at No 3. Modern glazing to dormer. Grey slate piended roofs to main block and pavilions; slate-hung and piended dormer. 3 wallhead chimney stacks: 6-flue incised ashlar with cornice to side elevations; 4-flue, rendered with ashlar coping to rear.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
BOUNDARY WALLS: droved ashlar dwarf wall with ashlar coping to street. Rubble garden wall with semi-circular ashlar coping.
Gatepiers and lamp brackets: square-section ashlar with shallow pyramidal caps and cast-iron lamp brackets.
Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH suggests that plain builders? designs of circa 1830 were followed here.
Other nearby listed buildings