This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9697 / 55°58'10"N
Longitude: -3.1574 / 3°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 327859
OS Northings: 675795
OS Grid: NT278757
Mapcode National: GBR 8W7.YJ
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.G6QW
Entry Name: 4 Claremont Park with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Lamp Brackets
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363428
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26713
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Earlier 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay classical villa with single storey wing projecting W ; screen wall to E. Stugged ashlar sandstone to front with polished ashlar dressings; squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear. Base course, moulded cill course to 1st floor windows, eaves cornice.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical main block with entrance door at centre bay; panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight; consoled corniced doorpiece. Projecting cills to flanking ground floor openings. Regular fenestration.
S ELEVATION: Irregularly disposed bays. Central staircase window, narrow rectangular opening to outer left bay, small bipartite window left of centre and door to right bay at ground floor; rectangular openings to outer bays at 1st floor with ornamental cast iron window guard to left bay. Modern box dormer to centre. Lean-to garage building to right of main block. 4-bay wing to left: 2 windows and door of inner bays, projecting outer bay with door.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof to main block; half-piended wing. 4-flue, stugged ashlar wallhead stacks with cornice.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995.
BOUNDARY WALL: coped ashlar dwarf wall to street (formerly with railings).
GATEPIERS AND LAMP BRACKETS: square-section ashlar with shallow pyramidal caps and cast-iron lamp brackets.
Edinburgh gives the date of circa 1830. A house is shown on this site as early as 1829, but this is more akin to the villas of the Grange area of Edinburgh dating from 1860s.
Other nearby listed buildings