This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9709 / 55°58'15"N
Longitude: -3.1702 / 3°10'12"W
OS Eastings: 327057
OS Northings: 675939
OS Grid: NT270759
Mapcode National: GBR 8T7.B2
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.85MZ
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, 17 Academy Street, Club
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363434
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26718
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century. 2-storey and attic 5-bay symmetrical classical villa, large modern extension in front garden.
Cream sandstone, squared and snecked rubble to basement, stugged ashlar with polished dressings above, coursed and squared rubble to rear and sides. Band course above basement and ground floor; dentilled eaves cornice with blocking course; blind balustraded aprons to ground floor windows; architraved windows.
SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: Roman Doric columned doorpiece at centre with acanthus leaf neckband, marbled paterae frieze, black marbled door surround accessed by steps; single windows at 1st floor above. Single windows to remaining bays.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: stair window to centre; single windows flanking; rooflight.
SW ELEVATION: gabled with ashlar apex stack; single windows to centre bay, small window to left.
NE ELEVATION: gabled with ashlar apex stack; single windows (blocked) at 1st floor, small window to gablehead.
Timber sash and case windows, mostly plate glass glazing, some 12-pane to rear and side (1 replacement window to front elevation). Slate roof with lead flashing; 2 apex stacks (see above). Ashlar coped skews. Moulded gutter heads.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Allegedly built by merchant James Scott in 1801 but it is not shown on Ainslie?s Edinburgh & Leith map of 1804.
Other nearby listed buildings