This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9698 / 55°58'11"N
Longitude: -3.1564 / 3°9'23"W
OS Eastings: 327919
OS Northings: 675801
OS Grid: NT279758
Mapcode National: GBR 8X7.4H
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.H65T
Entry Name: 6 Claremont Park, Claremont Park Nursing Home with Boundary Wall, Gatepiers and Lamp Brackets
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363473
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26739
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Thomas Hamilton, 1827. 2-storey, 3-bay classical villa (now nursing home) with basement and flanked by single storey, 3-bay wings. Droved ashlar sandstone to front with polished ashlar dressings. Base course, band course, eaves cornice and blocking course. Architraved openings with panelled aprons to main block; architraved panels above architraved openings in wings.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical composition. Entrance door in centre bay; entablatured doorpiece with distyle fluted Ionic columns in antis. Panelled door; decorative rectangular fanlight with oval and rounded astragal pattern. 2 flanking openings and 3 at 1st floor. 3-bay wings each with advanced central bay framed by pilasters and entablature; door to central bay of left wing; probably altered.
S ELEVATION: not seen (1995).
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piend roof to main block. Wallhead stacks: ashlar; central flues linked as single broad shaft; octagonal outer shafts.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
BOUNDARY WALL: ashlar dwarf wall with coping.
Gatepiers and lamp brackets: square-section ashlar with shallow pyramidal caps and cast-iron lamp brackets.
Apparent alteration to 3rd bay of right wing. Modern extension to rear.
Other nearby listed buildings