This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9763 / 55°58'34"N
Longitude: -3.1646 / 3°9'52"W
OS Eastings: 327422
OS Northings: 676535
OS Grid: NT274765
Mapcode National: GBR 8V5.H4
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.C19T
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 1-5 Baltic Street, Edinburgh and Leith Gasworks, N Range
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363481
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26744
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
NE ranges circa 1840; W and NW ranges before 1853; courtyard and office building later 19th century. Range of single and 2-storey buildings forming courtyard enclosed by tall boundary wall, former gas works, now used as timber yard. Cream sandstone, mostly coursed and squared and coursed rubble with brick infill, some droved dressings.
NE RANGES: remains of original gas works, former retort and gasometer house began 1835. Rectangular-plan single storey building (retort house) with 4 tall round arches (now partly blocked) to E; single windows and modern single storey addition to W; gable elevations with apex gablets, to S with 2 tall round-arched (bricked-up) openings. 3-storey building adjoining to S (gasometer house) with irregular openings, doorways to E.
W RANGE: long impressive former gasometer house (now drastically reduced in height); rubble with brick wallhead and N gable; traces of segmental-arched openings at basement to part of E elevation; decorative cast-iron lattice grilles to window of W elevation. 2-storey 6-bay street frontage with single windows (some blocked), large opening to right of centre; doorway with projecting lintel on stylised corbels to left.
NW RANGE: 3-storey rectangular-plan former processing plant (?) with
2 segmental-arched openings at ground floor (to left blocked); 2 tall segmental-arched openings (bricked- up); irregularly distributed windows, mostly bricked-up.
COURTYARD RANGE: 2-storey rectangular-plan (former retort house); openings to side elevations mostly blocked; gable elevations with large openings with metal lintels to N; above both elevations with tall round-arched opening to centre flanked by smaller round-arched windows (brick arched to S).
OFFICES: 2-storey office range to SE; Baltic Street frontage with single windows, partly harled and quadripartite canted timber oriel at 1st floor to right, shouldered wallhead stack to left; single windows to remaining elevations; later addition to W; pend to N with boarded doors and decorative iron grilles.
Office with 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Office and NW range slate roof, corrugated iron to remaining buildings.
Buildings shown on 1853 and 1876 OS maps. RCAHMS, MONUMENTS OF INDUSTRY (1986), pp158. Dean of Guild (Leith), 3 June 1835.
Other nearby listed buildings