This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9698 / 55°58'11"N
Longitude: -3.1555 / 3°9'19"W
OS Eastings: 327975
OS Northings: 675805
OS Grid: NT279758
Mapcode National: GBR 8X7.9G
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.H6LS
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 7 Claremont Park
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363537
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26751
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Thomas Hamilton, circa 1830 with later alterations by James Simpson, 1891. 2-storey, 3-bay classical house with basement and single storey, 2-bay pavilion to left of main block. Droved ashlar sandstone to front with polished ashlar dressings; coursed rubble to sides and rear. Rusticated quoins. Base course, band course, cill course to 1st floor windows, eaves cornice and blocking course. Architraved openings to front; corniced with panelled aprons at ground floor.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical main block; regular fenestration. Panelled entrance door with plate glass rectangular fanlight at centre bay. Tuscan columned porch with entablature. Basement windows. Window to outer bay (1891) of pavilion; architraved panelled door with plate glass rectangular fanlight to inner bay; originally window with panelled apron.
W ELEVATION: window to ground floor, outer left bay; door to right.
S and E elevations: not seen (1995).
Plate glass timber sash and case windows throughout. Grey slate piended roof. Wallhead stacks to main block and pavilion; former corniced ashlar with central 3 flues linked as broad single shaft, with 2 flanking octagonal shafts.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
BOUNDARY WALL: ashlar dwarf wall with coping to street; modern railings.
GATEPIERS: square-section ashlar with shallow pyramidal caps.
Other nearby listed buildings