This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9732 / 55°58'23"N
Longitude: -3.1773 / 3°10'38"W
OS Eastings: 326618
OS Northings: 676203
OS Grid: NT266762
Mapcode National: GBR 8R6.W8
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.5476
Entry Name: 13 Bangor Road, Salvation Army Hall
Listing Date: 29 March 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363542
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26756
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Hamilton, dated 1910. 2-storey 3-bay rectangular-plan hall with ashlar facade, free Renaissance details. Red brick with concrete lintels, red sandstone front, stugged ashlar with polished dressings. Base course; corbel course, frieze and cornice above ground floor, slightly advanced; ashlar mullions and transoms; moulded skews; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters.
NW (FRONT) ELEVATION: architraved doorway to centre (metal shutter), jambs of shallow pilasters with stylised Ionic capitals, keystone, commemorative panels to either side; transomed bipartite windows flanking. Frieze above ground floor advanced to centre bay over corbels and larger brackets; Art Nouveau-style lettering ?The Salvation Army?. At 1st floor, centre bay with stepped gable and semi-circular apex, large segmental-arched transomed tripartite window with shouldered architrave and keystone, datestone to gablehead; outer bays with slightly advanced panels with small lugged pediments, single windows with bracketted swept cornices.
SW ELEVATION: 8-bay with 2 eastermost bays slightly lower. 2 secondary doorways (metal shutters) and tripartite windows at ground floor (to outer right bipartite). 1st floor bipartite windows (timber mullions) in slightly recessed panels, 3 eastermost bays single windows.
Small-pane fixed or hopper timber windows. Slate roof with metal ridge; small apex stack to SE.
INTERIOR: not seen 1993.
Built by Glasgow architect John Hamilton, William Booth himself (1829-1912), the founder and lifetime ?General? of the Salvation Army, is named as the petitioner. The foundation stone was laid 30 April 1910.
Other nearby listed buildings