This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9758 / 55°58'32"N
Longitude: -3.1785 / 3°10'42"W
OS Eastings: 326553
OS Northings: 676492
OS Grid: NT265764
Mapcode National: GBR 8R5.NB
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.42Q7
Entry Name: 76 Coburg Street, T and Jw Neilson Ltd (Former Stables); Eh6 6hj
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363548
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26760
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
R Thornton Shiells & Thomson, 1877. 2-storey and attic former stables now converted to offices and showroom. Polychrome red brick with yellow brick dressings; segmental-headed windows.
S ELEVATION: 3-bay; windows to each bay; half-window to gablehead; decorative stepped Dutch gable with pendant corbel table and lion at apex; corner pilasters support pinnacle stacks.
E ELEVATION: 12-bay; full or half-windows to most bays. Garage door slapped through at centre; glazed former door and hoist above. Considerable alterations to openings.
N ELEVATION: projecting shed at ground; 3 adjoining blocked half-windows to 1st floor.
Timber sash and case plate glass windows. Grey slates; ashlar coped skews; velux rooflights; brick stacks (see above) with octagonal cans.
Built for Wardie & Co as the Leith Stables, with a ramp to the side. Several of the windows have been extended down, and all the glazing is later. The drawings do not show a gablehead window. The en suite decorative brick wall to the street is a very recent addition, being part of the Leith improvement schemes.
Other nearby listed buildings