This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9699 / 55°58'11"N
Longitude: -3.1541 / 3°9'14"W
OS Eastings: 328062
OS Northings: 675815
OS Grid: NT280758
Mapcode National: GBR 8X7.LF
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.J68Q
Entry Name: 12 Claremont Park with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363614
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26791
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Probably Thomas Hamilton, circa 1850. 2-storey, 5-bay classical house with flanking single storey pavilions. Polished ashlar sandstone to front, coursed rubble to sides and rear. Base course, band course and modillioned eaves cornice to main block; base and blocking course to pavilions. Architraved openings with panelled aprons to main block; keystoned at 1st floor.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical with regular fenestration. Projecting ashlar porch at centre bay with chamfered pilasters and columns each with capital and base; superimposed strips; full entablature with mutuled cornice and balustraded parapet over. Panelled door with rectangular plate glass fanlight. Wings flanked by gateways; that to left filled with garage.
W, E AND S ELEVATIONS: not seen (1995).
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to all openings. Grey slate piended roofs. Multi-flue, corniced, stugged ashlar wallhead stacks. 2-flue stack to right pavilion.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
BOUNDARY WALL: ashlar dwarf wall with saddle-back coping to street.
GATEPIERS AND LAMP BRACKETS: gateways flanking wings and to street with square ashlar piers and pyramidal caps; cat-iron lamp brackets.
A house of good quality and design and construction, with many original features surviving intact.
Other nearby listed buildings