This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.977 / 55°58'37"N
Longitude: -3.1747 / 3°10'28"W
OS Eastings: 326789
OS Northings: 676629
OS Grid: NT267766
Mapcode National: GBR 8S4.FW
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.61H7
Entry Name: Edinburgh, Leith, Commercial Street, St Ninians Church
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363625
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26800
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
John Henderson, 1839. Former Gothic chapel-of-ease with school attached. Coursed cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central Tudor-arched door with heavily moulded reveals surmounted by tablet with carved longboat; tall 3-light Perpendicular window above; whole contained in deeply chamfered pointed-arch recess with crocketed crest. Flanking octagonal towers of 3 diminishing stages breakthrough single gable span; 1st stage (to eaves and impost course) with lancet to outer face; blank 2nd stage with string course corresponding to gable; 3rd stage lanterns (belfry) with blind lancet to each face; spires removed.
Giant 2-stage base course. Ball finial.
N (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: 8-bay; full-height Tudor-arched panels with window openings to each bay with chamfered reveals and recessed dividing panel at centre. 4 bays of church to left with coped parapet. 3rd bay from left with broad access slapped in at ground. Gabled bay 5th from left with arched entrance to hall beyond at ground and window above.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay, gabled; rectangular door at centre with high rectangular flanking windows (replacing later slapped opening); Tudor-arched windows above, blind at base.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 4 bays of church to right with windows as above. Irregular rubble range beyond with 2-storey 3-bay deep former school buildings projecting at centre and linking to Citadel (see separate listing).
Windows variously replaced. Grey slates to church; moulded ashlar- coped skews; flat skewputts.
INTERIOR OF CHURCH: gallery supported on cast-iron columns; plaster-ribbed ceiling with stencilling; hoodmoulded blind Tudor arch within larger arch on W wall.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Building is now much altered, although a remarkable amount of the church interior survives considering its current use as a marble cutters workshop. Remaining rooms are used as a carpet warehouse.
Other nearby listed buildings