This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9765 / 55°58'35"N
Longitude: -3.1715 / 3°10'17"W
OS Eastings: 326990
OS Northings: 676560
OS Grid: NT269765
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.23
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.810P
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 Commercial Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363656
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26812
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
George Roberts and Son, 1870-75. Massive 4- and 5-storey Italianate tenement (incorporating former hotel) turning corner with bow range. Polished cream sandstone ashlar facades; base course, unified cornice above ground floor; moulded architrave to 1st and 2nd floor windows with moulded architraves and cill courses; 1st floor windows with cornices and plain tablet friezes; band course above 2nd floor; 3rd floor windows with plain architraves; bracketed cills; heavy corbelled cornice concealing guttering.
E (COMMERCIAL WHARF) ELEVATION: 4-storey and attic 8-bay; 6 central bays irregularly grouped in pairs with single windows at ground, door to centre right bay. Projecting end bays with raised cornice; tripartite windows to each floor, ashlar mullions, plain architraves; upper floors recessed between pilaster strips, band courses between floors; 3rd floor lights round-headed with keystones. Box-dormer to inner left, skylights. Blank rubble return to S.
N (COMMERCIAL STREET) ELEVATION: 4-storey and attic 22-bay; at ground, 2-bay shops with 2-leaf panelled doors and 2-pane plate glass window in roll-moulded frames, and 4-leaf panelled tenement doors large rectangular fanlight and glazed doors beyond, all below unified cornice. Upper floors recessed between 2-bay end pavilions; grouped from left as bay with tenement door, 10 bays with 5 shops, bay with tenement door, 6 ays with 3 shops; pavilions with key-stoned round-headed windows at 3rd floor and raised cornices. Decorative extended cast-iron balcony between pavilions at 1st floor. 6 segmental- headed dormers behind parapet.
NW (SANDPORT STREET) ELEVATION: 2 distinct phases; 4-storey and attic 10-bay N (earlier) range and 5-storey and attic 12-bay S range fitted into same height; unified by shops, tenement doors and cornice at ground, and continuous cornice above top floor. Shops similar to above but with 4-pane windows, single tenement doors.
N RANGE: with 3-bay curved corner to Commercial Street, bay with paired windows to right; large tenement door (as above) to centre bay, shops to remaining bays; 3 dormers and skylight. 6 bays to right with mansard roof and box-dormers, outer bays bipartite; 4 shops at ground and tenement door at centre; 1st floor windows with cornices removed.
S RANGE: at ground, 4 pairs of shops with 2 tenement doors between. Upper floors with no ornamentation except continuation of moulded cill course to 1st floor; 9 N bays grouped in threes with closet windows at centre; 3 further bays to right; mansard roof with box dormers. Blocked doorcase with pilasters and pediment to right all that remains of further demolished range.
REAR ELEVATIONS: coursed rubble, raised wallhead accommodating attic storey (apart from E end of Commercial Street range). Rear of Sandport Street notched, apparently to take bows of old graving dock, now filled-in.
Timber sash and case windows; plate glass with 4-pane to single windows of NW elevation. Grey slates, corniced ashlar stacks.
INTERIOR: Commercial Street with fine open scale and platt common stairs; turned and blocked mahogany balusters and panelled posts. Flats not seen 1993.
Formerly contained the Commercial Hotel.
Other nearby listed buildings