This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9697 / 55°58'11"N
Longitude: -3.1595 / 3°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 327725
OS Northings: 675799
OS Grid: NT277757
Mapcode National: GBR 8W7.HH
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.F6PV
Entry Name: 3 Gladstone Place with Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 29 April 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363680
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26829
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Dated 1880, built for John Blackie. Symmetrical 4-storey, 3-bay tenement. Polished ashlar sandstone to front; channelled at ground floor, squared and snecked rubble to rear. Base course; band course between ground and 1st floor, moulded and bracketted cill courses to 1st, 2nd and 2rd floors; eaves cornice and blocking course. Channelled pilaster ends supporting bracketted cornice and panelled pedestals. Architraved openings to 1st and 2nd floor; corniced at 1st floor; pedimented and consoled 2nd floor window at centre bay.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: panelled entrance door with rectangular plate glass fanlight at centre. Consoled cornice doorpiece. Regularly fenestrated with bipartite windows to outer bays.
S ELEVATION: not seen (1995).
Plate glass timber sash and case windows to upper floors; modern glazing to ground floor windows. Grey slate piended roof; corniced ashlar multi-flue wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
BOUNDARY WALL: Ashlar dwarf wall with modern railings.
Distinctive part of tenement block (1,3 Restalrig Road and 1-14 Gladstone Place).
Other nearby listed buildings