This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9782 / 55°58'41"N
Longitude: -3.1797 / 3°10'46"W
OS Eastings: 326481
OS Northings: 676766
OS Grid: NT264767
Mapcode National: GBR 8R4.FG
Mapcode Global: WH6SF.4Z4W
Entry Name: Edinburgh, 148 Commercial Street, Warehouse
Listing Date: 30 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363736
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26864
Building Class: Cultural
Unitary Authority Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Mid 19th century with later alterations and additions. Extended range of 2-, 3-, and 4-storey warehouses and offices. Cream rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings.
FROM E: piend-roofed 2-storey 5-bay cooperage with yard beyond; 2-storey loading bay with massive dormer door to rear. Yard contains 20th century 2-storey roughcast addition.
8-bay single storey and attic office range with continuous glazed box-dormer (1937) and 3-bay office to W (Quality House) with 2-leaf panelled door at centre; large ashlar depressed archway to rear. Bond 13 to W; 2-storey 12 bays to rear; 8 windows grouped together to front at left, assorted openings to right; upper storey later addition; applied iron letters to Commercial Street BONDED STORES 'HIGHLAND QUEEN'. 2-storey single bay link with door at ground and window above. Former Roses's Lime Juice stores terminates range; 3- and 4-storey 7-bay; regular fenestration; gableheads to pitch and platform roofs; elevator slapped through centre. Covered loading area to N. Single storey piend-roofed shed to W.
WALL AND GATEPIERS: rubble wall with semi-circular coping enclosing W shed, containing square pyramidal coped ashlar gatepiers (blocked). Adjoined by 4 similar gatepiers (set back from Commercial Street) which form W entrance to docks.
Barred windows. Ashlar coped skews; grey slates.
INTERIOR: timber post-and beam and cast-iron columns (Doric and finned) to warehouses; Bond 13 with single spliced timber beam, perhaps a former mast, supported on dressed tree trunks. Office with timber panelling.
The warehouse range for the former West Dock; forms an important group with the Rennie warehouses to the E (see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings