This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9761 / 55°58'33"N
Longitude: -3.1709 / 3°10'15"W
OS Eastings: 327025
OS Northings: 676520
OS Grid: NT270765
Mapcode National: GBR 8T5.67
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.819Z
Entry Name: Commercial Wharf, 3, 4, and 5/1-31 (Inclusive Nos) the Cooperage; Eh6 6lf
Listing Date: 12 December 1974
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363756
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26878
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Early 19th century; converted to flats 1984-5, Gilmour & Stamp. Symmetrical 5-storey and attic 7-bay warehouse. Cleaned cream sandstone; regular fenestration.
SE (FRONT) ELEVATION: centre loading bay with large multi-pane window at ground, openings above now glazed with large casement windows, suspended platforms retained as balconies; gable supporting hoist mechanism. Central flanking bays with large multi-pane window at ground; piend-roofed slate-hung modern dormers to each flanking bay. Cast-iron hoist to left of centre bay at 1st floor.
SW ELEVATION: 3 bays, regular fenestration, single central window in gablehead; apex stack.
NE ELEVATION: as above; small closet windows added to primary floors to right of centre bay.
NW ELEVATION: projecting harled stair and service towers flank centre
3 bays; modern timber-framed porch with open gabled canopy spans right bays and tower at ground; to centre at ground broad tripartite window to former cart access; skylights. Course projecting quoins.
8-pane timber casement windows. Grey slates, ashlar skews and stacks. Cast-iron chain-linked bollards to waterfront.
Later additions to the rear of the building were demolished, and replaced by the service towers, at the time of the conversion. The garden to the SW occupies the former site of Leith?s oldest dry dock.
Other nearby listed buildings