This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.9691 / 55°58'8"N
Longitude: -3.1648 / 3°9'53"W
OS Eastings: 327394
OS Northings: 675732
OS Grid: NT273757
Mapcode National: GBR 8V7.FR
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.C76C
Entry Name: 6-13 (Inclusive Nos) Hermitage Place with Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363801
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26906
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Thomas Bonnar. Circa 1825. Terrace of 8 houses, grouped as four 6-bay mirrored pairs; 2-storey with attic and basement. Ashlar sandstone to front: polished and channelled at ground floor with voussoirs over door and window openings; droved at 1st floor; rock-faced rustication to basement; polished ashlar dressings. Base course; band course between ground and 1st floor; cill course to 1st floor windows; eaves cornice (mutuled at No 6); blocking course. Architraved openings to 1st floor; corniced at No 6. Deep-set doors.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance doors at centre of each pair; panelled doors with rectangular plate glass fanlights (blocked at No 9, decorative at No 13). Regularly fenestrated; basement windows; dormers over outer bays (and inner bay at No 6); rooflights (various) over inner bays.
S ELEVATION: not seen (1995).
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows; 4-pane at Nos 9 and 10; modern glazing to dormers at Nos 8, 12 and 13. Grey slate roofs with ashlar skew copes. Mutual multi-flue stacks: mixture of rendered and droved ashlar with coping. 7 stone steps oversailing basement with modern railings.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
BOUNDARY WALLS: droved ashlar (rendered at No 6) dwarf wall with coping to street; modern railings.
Edinburgh suggests that No 6 was the forerunner of the Bonnar scheme and compares Nos 7-13 with sections of Melville Street in the New Town, also by Bonnar.
Other nearby listed buildings