This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.968 / 55°58'4"N
Longitude: -3.1497 / 3°8'58"W
OS Eastings: 328336
OS Northings: 675600
OS Grid: NT283756
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y8.H3
Mapcode Global: WH6SM.L8C5
Entry Name: 7, 8 and 9 Seacot, Seacote House
Listing Date: 30 October 1978
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 364007
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB27054
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leith
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1800. 2-storey, 3-bay classical house with basement and single storey pavilion. Subdivided. Droved ashlar sandstone to front; squared and snecked to sides and rear; harled addition. Base course, impost course at ground floor, eaves cornice and blocking course with raised tablet at centre.
NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: pilastered quoins. Tetrastyle ashlar porch (modern replacement) with entablature and raised tablet at centre. Door (panelled) flanked by narrow windows in advanced centre bay. Round-arched recesses in flanking bays at ground floor with round-arched windows, voussoirs and blind-balustraded aprons. Basement windows. Small 6-pane architraved windows to each bay at 1st floor. Panelled tablet above centre bay. Single storey pavilion to outer left with cill course to round-arched window.
SE ELEVATION: stair window at centre with pair of small windows below. Windows at ground and 1st floors in outer bays. Pavilion projecting to right abutting modern 2 storey flats.
SW ELEVATION: blank gablehead.
NE ELEVATION: 3-bay pavilion with basement on exposed ground. Modern forestair at centre. Windows in flanking bays. Blank gablehead to 2-storey flats behind and to 1st floor of main block.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to ground floor; 6-pane timber sash and case above. Grey slate roofs; half-piended to pavilion. Ashlar gablehead stacks. Bowed wrought-iron window guards to basement recess to front.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
House has lost original portico (removed circa 1970). Recent replacement looks uncomfortably low. Formerly listed as 12 Seafield Avenue.
Other nearby listed buildings